ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 20:57:12 GMT
On 29.04.2015 18:42, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Markus Wiesenbacher <
> mailinglist@codefreun.de> wrote:
>
>> You write on your site that GridGain Community Edition powered by Apache
>> Ignite will have additional bug fixes ... will this version be free? Why
>> another version and why not bringing those fixes into the general Ignite?
>>
> Community Edition is free and all the fixes in community edition will be
> available in Apache Ignite. The benefit of the community edition is that it
> can be released more often than the official Apache Ignite release endorsed
> by ASF, so the community can get the bug fixes faster.

I'm having real trouble understanding this argument. Any bugs would
first be fixed in Ignite code, yes? Ignite can have an official release
every hour if you guys are prepared to spend time on that. :)

If I were a downstream user, I'd interpret "can be released more often"
as either "bug fixes are not pushed upstream to Ignite" or "these
releases are less rigorously tested". Neither interpretation sounds very
palatable.

-- Brane