ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Git practices [Was: Development process]
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 22:48:22 GMT
Guys,

I don't want to hijack the original thread, so I am forking it ;)

I've been watching the git tree for the sprint branches and I have one general
comment, which I always pushing for when it gets to correct use of git. Here
it is:
 - during the development on a branch one has to re-sync with the main
   integration branch (ie ignite-sprint-X)
 - git has two options of doing this: merge and rebase
 - merge preserves the history of the, well, branch merges - potentially
   producing a complex intervened picture of branches like

   │ │ ● │ minor

   │ │ ●━┑ Merge remote-tracking branch 'origin/ignite-sprint-4' into ignite-sprint-4

   │ │ │ ●━┑ merge from ignite-790 to ignite-sprint-4

   │ │ │ │ ● ignite-790: improvements after the review

   │ │ │ │ ● review

   │ │ │ │ ●━┑ Merge branches 'ignite-790' and 'ignite-sprint-4' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repo~
   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-790: several times performance improvements

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-790: added example configs for clouds

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-790: default configs

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-790: fixes, improvements, tests

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-709: read private key for GCE from the file

   │ │ │ │ ● │ temporal commit, forgot to switch to the branch

   │ │ │ ●━┑ │ Merge branch 'ignite-734' into ignite-sprint-4

   │ │ │ │ ● │ review

   │ │ │ │ ●━┪ Merge branches 'ignite-734' and 'ignite-sprint-4' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repo~
   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-734: finished implementation, provided tests

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-734: google cloud storage ipfinder is fully implemented

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-734: implemented ip finder

   │ │ │ │ ● │ ignite-734: start implementing google ip finder

   │ │ ● │ │ │ fixed NPE

   │ ● │ │ │ │ javadoc fix

   ●━┑ │ │ │ │ Merge branches 'ignite-839' and 'ignite-sprint-4' of https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repo~

 - rebase rewrites the new commits on top of a specified HEAD, hence producing
   a flat line of development
 - merge makes sense for feature branches integration, automatic branch
   management by CI, etc.
 - rebase makes sense when you're working on your feature for some time and
   don't want to show the whole world how many times you were synching with
   the integration branch. Keep in mind, that rebase rewrites the commits
   hence changing their sha1 hashes. Be considerate about this and never
   rebase something that has been already pushed to the remote repo
 - In the example above perhaps no one would either care for the fact that
   there was 5 consequent commits for ignite-790. This particular situation
   could be fixes with 'squash' (a form of interactive rebase), but I will
   leave this exercise for the readers.

These simple rules allow to produce a much cleaner git history, which is
easier to work with, bisect if needed, and in general do any sorts of tracing.

  Cos