ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Two different Ignite-Versions?
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2015 21:56:24 GMT
On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 04:42PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> > Apache
> > Why
> > be
> > that
> > >>
> > > All bugs are fixed in Ignite first, of course. GridGain community edition
> > > just takes the sprint branch of Ignite and can produce a release at any
> > > point, if there are important bug fixes there.  Official ASF release, as
> > we
> > > all know, can take up to 2 weeks for voting and, if there are any
> > > rejections, even longer. There are also many other factors that may delay
> > > the official Apache release.
> > >
> > > The only motivation for the community edition is to provide the Ignite
> > user
> > > base with bug fixes much sooner than within 2 weeks.
> >
> > You're assuming that Ignite will be an incubating podling forever. Is
> > that a self-fulfilling prophecy? :D
> >

> Haha.
>
> You are right, this is temporary. Once official apache releases start
> coming out sooner, or after Ignite graduates, we probably won't need the
> community edition at all.

Another venue to follow here is to make nightly or weekly builds of Ignite and
publish them on our website. These can be called development snapshots or
whatever and can be pushed out there without the voting process, as they
aren't official releases.

This should take care about the 'two-versions question' I believe. Thoughts?

Cos