ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: New home for Ignite documentation
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 17:58:16 GMT
On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Dmitriy Setrakyan
<dsetrakyan@apache.org> wrote:
> I understand that no-one is trying to make things harder, but at the same
> time, I mostly hear "DON'T DO THIS" and "DON'T DO THAT". What I would
> appreciate is if we all tried to come up with a way to keep docs in
> readme.io (especially given that many within community sweated for the past
> month on adding documentation to readme.io).
>
> I have several questions:
>
>    1. Is this technicality about which tool is used to create documentation
>    documented somewhere? I cannot find anything. I treat readme.io as a
>    tool for creating documentation which I then add to GIT.

It is about where the canonical source of truth is. You *have* to have it
at *.apache.org. You're more than welcome to have mirrors all over
the place, of course.

There's also a matter of fostering the community by lowering the barrier
of entry. As a developer on the project I would really appreciate if
changing documentation followed the same process as changing code.
This is not a hard requirement, but it really helps. I don't want yet another
process. I want to be able to commit to the same repo.

>    2. Are 3rd parties allowed to provide documentation for Apache Projects
>    (cannot imagine why not or how we can stop them)? If so, we can maintain
>    this documentation as provided by 3rd party and treat Javadoc, which is
>    part of the source code, as the primary source documentation for Apache
>    Ignite. Also, all pages important to the community, like "Get Involved" for
>    example, will be kept directly on the Ignite website.

You can, of course, splinter your documentation. Case in point:
http://planetcassandra.org/
which is operated by DataStax folks. However, as a general recommendation
I will really encourage you NOT to do so for core project.

Thanks,
Roman.