ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.0.0 release
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 14:51:44 GMT
On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 1:00 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> On 28.03.2015 06:41, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 08:32PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> >> (restarting a new vote for 1.0.0 after having fixed the LGPL issue that
> was
> >> raised during the previous vote today)
> >>
> >> I have uploaded the new 1.0.0 release candidate to:
> >>   http://people.apache.org/~dsetrakyan/incubator-ignite-1.0.0/
> >>
> >> The following changes were made based on all the feedback I got for RC3:
> >>
> >> 1. Added the ability to build a binary ZIP file without LGPL
> dependencies.
> >> 2. Fixed jdk8.backport wrong license issue.
> >> 3. Fixed NOTICE.txt according to comments from IPMC.
> >> 4. Fixed LICENSE.txt according to comments from IPMC.
> >>
> >> To build a binary release from source run:
> >>
> >>     # With LGPL dependencies
> >>     mvn clean package -DskipTests
> >>
> >>     # Without LGPL dependencies
> >>     mvn clean package -DskipTests -P-lgpl,-examples
> > Would it make sense to turn off 'lgpl' by default? Perhaps doesn't have
> to be
> > addressed until next release, unless a re-spin will happen.
>
> These dependencies /have/ to be turned off by default, because otherwise
> it's too easy to build binaries that are not ALv2. Especially if that
> -P-lgpl is not documented anywhere.

To my knowledge, the reason why LGPL is not allowed is because of its
redistribution conflicts with ALv2. If users download the source code
without LGPL in it, and then download the binaries for LGPL dependencies
themselves during the build, then there is no redistribution of LGPL
occurring and we should be OK. That's why the flag is turned on for the
users by default.

The flag to turn LGPL off is *only* for us, so we can build our own
convenience binary which will be downloadable from the website. This binary
cannot and will not have LGPL because of redistribution issues.

Having said that, I simply wanted to explain our reasoning here. If you
feel strongly about this issue and want us to resubmit the release for a
vote with LGPL turned off by default, we can do that too.