ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Ignite Community Page
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:25:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 12:38 AM, Branko Čibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> On 16.03.2015 20:39, Branko Čibej wrote:
> > On 16.03.2015 15:16, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> >> Brane,
> >>
> >> Are you having a problem with the word "community" or with the word
> >> "ignite" there? How is this different from http://planetcassandra.org/
> >> which clearly says "Datastax Community Service"? There is a link from
> >> Cassandra project home page to the planetcassandra.org.
> > I'll take a look and follow up as soon as planetcassandra.org actually
> > loads for me ... right now it's either down, or my 'net is hosed.
>

> Right, let's begin with the first impression of the site:
>
>   * planetcassandra.org does not use the Cassandra logo, clearly states
>     trademark attribution to the ASF, and clearly states this is a
>     "Datastax community service"

I honestly do not see your point.

In the interests of removing any hypocrisy from your argument, if you look
on this page "http://planetcassandra.org/cassandra/", then it specifically
says directly in the BOLD HEADER: "Download DataStax Community Edition —
Apache Cassandra™". Now, I can make the same argument, that for my
intentionally naive views, it seems like DataStax is actually in charge of
official releases of Apache Cassandra. Of course, no one in their right
mind actually does think that.

With that in mind, I believe that saying "Apache Ignite Developer Hub Run
By GridGain" is as clear as a bell and we should stop nitpicking here. If
you still disagree, then provide sound reasoning accompanied by the text
that in your mind will be proper here.

>   * apacheignite.gridgain.org uses the logo and trademark without any
>     attribution, says it's the "Developer Hub for Apache Ignite" with
>     the "run by GridGain" not so obvious.

I am completely aware about the attribution. The process is in motion to
add a common footer on every page with proper legal language.

> To anyone coming to that site, it would appear that it is /the/ Ignite
> project's site, rather than a service run by a commercial entity. Notice
> the difference between "Datastax community service" and "Developer Hub
> for Apache Ignite"; the former doesn't imply that the site is run by the
> Apache Cassandra project, the latter does imply it's run by the Apache
> Ignite project.

Again, see my explanation above.

> It doesn't help that ignite.incubator.apache.org posts a link to
> apacheignite.gridgain.org calling it "our community forum." Whilst
> cassandra.apache.org does have a link to planetcassandra.org, there is
> nothing else there to indicate that planetcassandra is in any way
> affiliated with the ASF.

I changed the text. It now says: "the User Forum".

> And there is nothing on the page that would indicate that Ignite is an
> incubating podling. Note that that the disclaimer is missing from the
> Ignite web site, too.

I have added the incubator egg image to the footer of every page. It's
impossible not to notice now.