ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.0.0 release
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:54:10 GMT
On 31.03.2015 00:54, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 03:39PM, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:

>>> I think 3 ppl from PPMC have voted, which is not "the whole PPMC" but
>>> enough
>>> to start the vote on general@incubator.a.o
>>>
>> I counted Yakov, Valentin, Semyon, Serj, and Vladimir have voted, so seems
>> like 5 PPMC votes and 1 from IPMC (Cos).
> Sorry, I missed two as a part of this thread  has been already moved to a
> different folder. You're right of course.

Even so, there are 17 PPMC members, 14 of these are not mentors,
according to

    http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ignite.html

and I think 14 > 5 so it's indeed not "the whole PPMC". :)

+1 for release but the following problems should be fixed for the next
release:

1. After building with ... and running bin/ignite.sh I get the following
message:

Ignite ver. 1.0.0#19700101-sha1:n/a

There are two problems here:

  * The date is wrong
  * There's not commit ID and/or tag name

IMO, the source package should be generated by a script that:

  * creates a tag in the repository;
  * exports the contents of the tagged tree
  * updates the exported tree:
      o sets the current date (and time?) for version display
      o sets the tag name for same

The point is that the user should be able to take the source package and
produce release-grade binaries with all the version references (dates,
commit IDs, etc); and the convenience binaries should be built from the
source package, not from a Git checkout.

2. Please stop calling the project "Apache Ignite In-Memory Data
Fabric". It's called just "Apache Ignite". Needs changes in:

  * DEVNOTES.txt
  * README.txt
  * RELEASE_NOTES.txt
  * pom.xml

3. The name of the build binary package should be similar to the name of
the source package. Right now we start with

    incubator-ignite-1.0.0-src.zip

and produce

    ignite-fabric-1.0.0.zip

(note the "fabric" popping up again)

Instead, the build should produce

    incubator-ignite-1.0.0.zip

Since there's currently only one edition, I recommend to stop using the
${ignite.edition} property in pom.xml. If, at some point, you want to
produce different binary editions from the source package, I suggest the
naming scheme should be

    incubator-igite-1.0.0-${edition}.zip

FWIW, it's fine to change "incubator-ignite-" to "apache-ignite-".

-- Brane