ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignite Community Page
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 07:38:48 GMT
On 16.03.2015 20:39, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 16.03.2015 15:16, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
>> Brane,
>>
>> Are you having a problem with the word "community" or with the word
>> "ignite" there? How is this different from http://planetcassandra.org/
>> which clearly says "Datastax Community Service"? There is a link from
>> Cassandra project home page to the planetcassandra.org.
> I'll take a look and follow up as soon as planetcassandra.org actually
> loads for me ... right now it's either down, or my 'net is hosed.

Right, let's begin with the first impression of the site:

  * planetcassandra.org does not use the Cassandra logo, clearly states
    trademark attribution to the ASF, and clearly states this is a
    "Datastax community service"
  * apacheignite.gridgain.org uses the logo and trademark without any
    attribution, says it's the "Developer Hub for Apache Ignite" with
    the "run by GridGain" not so obvious.

To anyone coming to that site, it would appear that it is /the/ Ignite
project's site, rather than a service run by a commercial entity. Notice
the difference between "Datastax community service" and "Developer Hub
for Apache Ignite"; the former doesn't imply that the site is run by the
Apache Cassandra project, the latter does imply it's run by the Apache
Ignite project.

It doesn't help that ignite.incubator.apache.org posts a link to
apacheignite.gridgain.org calling it "our community forum." Whilst
cassandra.apache.org does have a link to planetcassandra.org, there is
nothing else there to indicate that planetcassandra is in any way
affiliated with the ASF.

And there is nothing on the page that would indicate that Ignite is an
incubating podling. Note that that the disclaimer is missing from the
Ignite web site, too.

To someone with a suspicious nature all of this might look as if
GridGain weren't really serious with its grant of the Ignite code to the
ASF and are just trying to (ab)use the ASF brand for some extra free
marketing. Please note that I'm not making this accusation, just
observing how the current situation could be interpreted. IMO it's
actually more of a misunderstanding of how the ASF works and why it
works the way it does; and especially why all these strict branding
rules (even stricter for podlings) are, in the long run, good for the
commercial sponsors, too.

-- Brane