ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Ignite 1.0.0 RC3 release
Date Sun, 15 Mar 2015 06:55:35 GMT
On 15.03.2015 07:15, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:
> +1
>
> I still recommend you not to include RC# into top-level directory name when
> you create the zip file. RC is a logical state of the archive - not its
> physical property. Also, earlier I commented on how the checksums will be
> screwed if you try to re-pack the archive.

Actually, if I see "Ignite ver. 1.0.0-rc3" printed on my screen when I
run a program, then I do expect the -rc3 tag to be part of the source
directory name. It is valid and reasonable practice to make a public
release candidate. We do that at least once for every 1.x.0 release at
Subversion:

http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/releasing.html#release-numbering

The process we use there is:

  * Release 1.x.0-rc1 as a formal ASF release
  * Wait for a "soak period" (typically 4 weeks)
      o during this time, users can take the candidate for a spin and
        report any problems
      o we fix the problems, and if any of them are serious enough
        (e.g., requiring a public API change), we roll -rc2 etc. and
        restart the soak period
        http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/svn-soak-management.png
  * Once we've decided that the release candidate is stable, we create a
    new release based on the same tag, with only one change: the -rc*
    tag is dropped from all version numbers (that's basically a one-line
    change in svn_version.h).

We've found that this works extremely well to make .0 releases more stable.

-- Brane