ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Downloads on the web site
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 04:36:46 GMT
On 10.03.2015 22:17, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Brane,
>
> The RC1 was a legitimate Ignite release candidate as it was submitted for a
> vote. Please let us know if there are certain documented guidelines here
> that we are not aware of.

It's all documented here:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Specifically, this is written *in bold* on that page:

    Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
    non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots,
    release candidates, or any other similar package.

It is fine to call a specific package a "release candidate" and even
publish is as an ASF release under that name, but in the case of
Ignite's RC1 and RC2, these are /not/ official releases because they
have not been approved as such by the PPMC and IPMC.

> Moreover, this RC1 zip archive provides users with the ability to kick the
> tires with Apache Ignite ahead of time, before the official 1.0 release is
> out. I am not sure how removing it serves either community or user base of
> the Ignite project.

Then tell people how to fetch a tag or specific commit from the git
repository, or simply how to clone a read-only (possibly shallow) copy.
It definitely doesn't serve the Ignite community or user base to post
confusing links to the web site.//

> As a side note, we already have addressed all RC2 issues and are a couple
> of days away from sending out RC3 for a vote, which will most likely become
> an official Apache Ignite 1.0 release. It will be easier to just switch one
> zip archive with another when that happens.

You must realize that our release policy is not arbitrary and is driven
by legal requirements. Even if RC3 is perfect, it will take at least a
week to approve (vote on dev@ must run at least 72 hours, and the same
again for the IPMC vote), so that's an extra week of confusing users and
violating ASF policies. Please remove the download link because I really
don't want to do that myself.

While we're on the topic of RC3, I've been trying to send my comments on
RC2 twice to this list in the last couple days, but apparently they
haven't come through ... I'll try again, hope for the best.

-- Brane