ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Adding JMH microbenchmarks to Ignite.
Date Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:30:27 GMT
Hi,

I'd like to disucss an idea of adding microbenchmarks to Ignite, based on
JMH.

Currently we use Yardstick to track our performance baselines. However,
quite often we face performance issues which are reproducible with a single
node. And using Yardstick is too complex and inflexible for such cases,
especially during debug.

Adding JMH benchmarks for the most important places will give us the
following advantages:
1) We can run them on TC automatically as they can be implemented as
regular JUnit tests;
2) We will have additional performance baselines;
3) They are very convenient for debugging and performance checks during
ticket implementation as they can be run in one click from IDE.
4) Last, but not least - they are very easy to implement. This is a matter
of slight POMs modifications, and benchmarks themselves usually require
only several lines of code. See
https://github.com/netty/netty/tree/master/microbench as example.

Thoughts?

Vladimir.