ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LGPL
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2015 09:45:27 GMT
On 27.01.2015 08:57, Sergi Vladykin wrote:
> Mentors,
>
> We have a LGPL dependency (we don't copy their code, only link with their
> library). As far as I know we can ship our Apache 2.0 licensed binary
> distribution with this library included while on the source code level it
> is just a Maven dependency, right? Do we have any restrictions here? I
> currently see none.

I think we already had this discussion. :)

Optional dependencies on (L)GPL code are fine. Mandatory dependencies
are not.

"Optional" implies that we don't bundle the (L)GPL sources, but if the
user downloads them herself (even via a script we provide, or using
Maven or Ivy or similar dependency tracker), they can build a version of
Ignite that uses that code.

As for binaries: if they include LGPL code, you can no longer say
they're under ALv2, because additional restrictions on distribution
/may/ apply; I'm not quite sure how that goes. If it's at all possible,
I suggest to not bundle LGPL libraries in the binary bundle; let the
user add it and detect its presence at runtime.

-- Brane