ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Boudnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Signing Ignite artifacts
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2015 22:22:07 GMT
On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 06:31PM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
> On 15.01.2015 18:17, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 2:34 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:
> >> Guys, how can you have a release manager who's not a committer? How did
> >> Sergey even think to begin working on this in the first place?
> > Sergey is not a release manager. He is working on automating binary release
> > build.
>
> In other words, he's contributing to the project.
>
> >  I don't want have to pick a release manager yet, until we have
> > something releasable.
>
> You don't have to pick a release manager at all. There's nothing special
> about rolling a release, as long as the process is well documented and
> easily reproducible (and the results conform to ASF requirements).
>
> -- Brane

+many

IPMC or ASF isn't usually concerned with binary releases. What constitutes a
release is a source code "snapshot", would it be a git sha1 hash or an SVN
branch. How to get to the release is important. I'd suggest to roll the first
release out pretty much manually and document the process on the Wiki for
everyone to read/add-to. This description will serve as de-facto spec for the
automation of the process. Once the release is fully automated - I don't
really think it is possible as their some manual steps like signing - you can
replace the Wiki description with the pointer to the self-documented release
code.

Cos