ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jira accounts
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 18:45:28 GMT
On 14.11.2014 18:53, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to ask everyone on the committer list to create a Jira account:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE
>
> I am beginning to file tickets and will be assigning them within the main
> committers.

So .... you are acting as if you are the lead of this project and have
the power to assign tasks to other contributors.

Before this gets out of hand, let me begin by saying that this is not
how things work around here. Every committer is a volunteer. Development
is driven by consensus in the community, not by dictate. It doesn't
matter if that's how you do things at your day job; this is not your day
job (even if you're employed specifically to work on Apache Ignite).

Clearly, any community that wants to get things done has to have some
kind of process and guidelines (or bylaws, if you like). However, the
way to set this up is to discuss it first here, on the dev list, how you
want to operate. Then document that.

It /is/ valid to decide that someone should take responsibility for
handling Jira issues and defining tasks. But again, you don't pull them
from thin air, and you don't "assign" them to anyone/./ One of the most
important criteria for graduation from the Incubator is that you
demonstrate that you can work together and reach consensus as a
community of individual volunteers. This pretty much precludes what
you've just started doing.

-- Brane