ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] iBATIS Project Team Moving to Google Code
Date Sat, 22 May 2010 00:11:16 GMT
Hi Clinton,

On 21/05/2010 10:04 AM, Clinton Begin wrote:
> Thanks for the questions Gili.
>
> >> 1) Why the name change? Couldn't you keep the iBatis name even
> under Google Code?
>
> When I donated iBATIS to the ASF, it was unfortunately irreversible.
> This is due to the fact that Apache is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit
> organization.  They cannot turn over what might be considered "assets"
> to a private entity.

     I understand that Apache cannot turn over the ownership of iBatis
to a private entity, but do we really need them to? Doesn't the Apache
license allow anyone to fork the code? Why not let Apache continue to
own the iBatis 2.0 branch and let Google Code own a new iBatis 3.0
branch? They can keep their copy and we keep ours.

> >> 2) Will you apply for an open-source license from JIRA or will you
> use Google Code's bug tracker? (I prefer the former from a usability
> point of view)
>
> As one of our more active contributors, I have a special appreciation
> for your thoughts.  To begin with, we're going to use Google Code's
> bug tracker.  I've fielded the majority of the bugs for iBATIS, and
> while I do like Jira, I found that Google Code will support everything
> we need.  If it turns out to not be enough, then we'll consider a
> switch.  The most important things it supports are:  wiki syntax,
> comments, tags, file uploads and single sign-on.

     Fair enough, but how will you migrate bug reports back and forth
between JIRA and Google Code? On a side-note, you can swap out virtually
any Google Code service. For example, you can swap their forums for
Nabble. Let me know if you need help along the way. :)

Good luck!
Gili