ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Joe Gooch <mrwiz...@k12system.com>
Subject RE: Need support for Dynamic procedure invocation
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 15:04:10 GMT
Sure, but it'll be uglier.

To me, your whole approach/rationale seems odd here... Procedures changing at runtime like
that seems like poor DB practice except for very specific scenarios, and/or single threaded
db usage.... Then again, I don't know exactly what you're trying to accomplish.  So I'll try
to suspend judgement.  But it seems to me at this point, if you're not mapping a result set,
that IBatis isn't really gaining you much, since you can easily fire up a StringBuffer and
build the statement yourself.  Probably easier than you could with the IBatis XML.

Beans/Defn:

public class MyParam {
  public final static int VARCHAR=1;
  public final static int INTEGER=2;
  public final static int DECIMAL=3;
  private int type;
  private Object value;

  // TODO: getters/setters/constructor
}

public class DynamicProcedureParams {
  private String procedureName;
  private List<MyParam> params = new ArrayList<MyParam>();

  // TODO: getters/setters/constructor
}

{call $procedureName$ <iterate> property="params" open="(" close=")" conjunction=",">
  <isEqual property="params[].type" compareValue="1">#params[].value:VARCHAR#</isEqual>
  <isEqual property="params[].type" compareValue="2">#params[].value:INTEGER#</isEqual>
  <isEqual property="params[].type" compareValue="3">#params[].value:DECIMAL#</isEqual>
</iterate> }

However, in JDBC you're looking like this:
  DynamicProcedureParams dpp = // your stuff;
  Connection con = // your connection;

  StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer(1000).append("{call ").append(dpp.getProcedureName()).append("
(");
  for(int i=0; i<dpp.getParams().size(); i++) {
    if (i>0) sb.append(",");
    sb.append("?");
  }
  sb.append(")}");
  PreparedStatement st = con.prepareStatement(sb.toString());
  // You could now cache this prepared statement until/unless your dpp values change
  for(int i=0; i<dpp.getParams().size(); i++) {
    switch(dpp.getParams().get(i).getType()) {
      case MyParam.VARCHAR: st.setString(i+1, dpp.getParams().get(i).getValue()); break;
      case MyParam.INTEGER: st.setInt(i+1, dpp.getParams().get(i).getValue()); break;
      case MyParam.DECIMAL: st.setDouble(i+1, dpp.getParams().get(i).getValue()); break;
    }
  }
  ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery();  // or st.execute();

If you really need to do this type of thing, it seems to me like you're going to be better
off creating a class and beans to hold the procedure name and parameter types, and when that
changes, recompile the prepared statement.  And then have a separate class that holds parameter
values for a single execution.  Then the stringbuffer bits above can be split from individual
queries, and only need to happen when the underlying schema changes. (Of course you'll need
synchronization)

Similarly, you could do as Jeff suggested and use a SelectProvider to build the SQL, effectively
doing the caching bits above.

I guess at this point it would help to know what IBatis is really buying you.

Joe

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail transmission may contain confidential and legally privileged information that
is intended only for the individual named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance
upon the contents of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender, so that proper delivery can be arranged,
and please delete the message from your mail box.