ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From cowwoc <cow...@bbs.darktech.org>
Subject DefaultSqlSession.selectOne()
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:05:20 GMT
Hi,

     I hope I'm not reopening a hornet's nest but I just noticed the
following comment in the code:

// Popular vote was to return null on 0 results and throw exception on
too many.

     How do you differentiate between selectOne() returning null because
it found no rows versus it finding a single row containing a null value?
I remember Sun's Engineers had the same debate for auto-boxing (should a
null Integer get unboxed as "0" or throw an exception?) and they settled
on exceptions precisely because of this ambiguity. Was there a huge vote
in favor of returning null for zero results or are you still open to
some hand twisting? :)

Gili