ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From François Schiettecatte <fschietteca...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBatis 2.x vs. iBatis 3.x performance
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 17:46:13 GMT
Hi

I have not heard back from anyone on this issue (which I am running into), is it a bug or
a non-issue?

I went back and retested it and I get the "CommunicationsException" with the POOLED data source
as well (so my original testing was not up to par).

For me this will require some amount of rework if I want to minimize the performance penalty
I wrote about.

Cheers

François

On Mar 12, 2010, at 3:54 PM, François Schiettecatte wrote:

> I did run into some issues with connection pooling. Creating a SqlSession() checks out
a connection from the pool (I presume) and from what I can tell it does not check it back
in until you close the session, so there is room for connections to timeout if I save them
in a hash. With C3P0 I would get a "CommunicationsException: Communications link failure"
when I used a connection which had timed out. On the other hand the built-in POOLED data source
did not have this issue. I was not able to reliably get around this issue in C3P0 either by
extending the timeout at the server end, or by setting up a ping query. Maybe one way to deal
with this would be to check-out a connection from the pool at the start of a transaction and
check it back in at the end of the transaction.