ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Guy Rouillier <guyr-...@burntmail.com>
Subject Re: iBatis 3.0 minimal complete example
Date Thu, 11 Feb 2010 18:40:48 GMT
On 2/10/2010 11:40 PM, Rick R wrote:
> certainly not very.) Feel free to let me know off-list how DI has
> 'really' helped - not some mythical Spinal Tap "Well this one goes to
> 11" argument.

DI has made code simpler in the EJB3 world.  With EJB2, to obtain a JNDI
datasource, you had to do lookups like this:

connection = ((DataSource) (new
InitialContext()).lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/troubleticketDB")).getConnection();

With EJB3, you simply annotate like this:

@Resource(type = DataSource.class, mappedName = "java:troubleticketDB")
    private DataSource          ds;

    connection = ds.getConnection();

Much more logical to work with.  And because you are no longer doing
lookups, you don't have to catch NamingExceptions throughout your code.

Syntactic sugar perhaps, but sweet.

--
Guy Rouillier