ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Martin Ellis <ellis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mapping a Complex Object
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 22:55:11 GMT
Perhaps an alternative to individual classes for each data type would
be to use the builder pattern?  That would avoid having many, many
parameters on the constructor for the User class.  This might help
with the problem of figuring out whether arguments at the call site
match the formal parameters.

At ten parameters, this must start to get a bit fiddly:

  private User(UserID id, Name name, Gender gender, EmailAddress email,
TelephoneNumber phone, LocalDate birthDate, SHA1 passwordHash, StaticFileID
avatarID, OrganizationID organizationID, int version)

I'm not sure the extent to which iBATIS would support using a builder,
specifically  in terms of specifying how to use a builder-like object
to create objects built from a ResultSet.  Probably an ObjectFactory
would work.  If it's not possible, it'd be possible to extend iBATIS
to do so.

My own solution?  Getters and setters on the persistence model
classes, but only getters in the interface that they implement.
Hence, most of the application never sees the setters, and the objects
appear immutable.  I don't claim it's beautiful, but it does the job,
and it's a lot simpler than going 'against the grain'.

Martin