ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Dan Forward <dan-nab...@forwardhome.com>
Subject Re: Mapping a Complex Object
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:29:41 GMT

Martin Ellis-6 wrote:

> Perhaps an alternative to individual classes for each data type would
> be to use the builder pattern?  That would avoid having many, many
> parameters on the constructor for the User class.  This might help
> with the problem of figuring out whether arguments at the call site
> match the formal parameters.

It is funny that you should mention the Builder pattern, because we have
started using that pattern on some of our classes. I was reluctant to
mention it as I did not want to complicate the discussion. They could easily
be accommodated in an ObjectFactory. The only issue I run into is that I
cannot pass an association into the "constructor." Only parameters in the
constructor element of the result map are passed into the main ObjectFactory
method:

public Object create(Class type, List<Class> constructorArgTypes, List
constructorArgs);

[snip]

> My own solution?  Getters and setters on the persistence model
> classes, but only getters in the interface that they implement.
> Hence, most of the application never sees the setters, and the objects
> appear immutable.  I don't claim it's beautiful, but it does the job,
> and it's a lot simpler than going 'against the grain'.

I may need to go that route as well. I just wanted to see if it could be
done beautifully first.