ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Martin Ellis <ellis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Map as a parameter object
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2009 02:39:51 GMT
On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Joe Gooch <mrwizard@k12system.com> wrote:
> 2) Replace the empty ContextMap (bindings) with the actual passed in Map.  This provides
other issues, for instance, casting without knowing the original Generics....  Plus, I don't
think iBatis should modify my original map, which it would do almost immediately. (By injecting
_parameter)

I'm not sure this would work without breaking other things.  For
dynamic SQL (or whatever you call it when you use <if> and <foreach>
to determine the actual SQL at runtime), the number of JDBC parameters
isn't known until iBATIS has the parameter values for the 'test' and
'collection' attributes for these elements.  This means that iBATIS
has to be able to add its own params into the map.

> 3) Extend the ContextMap definition such that a map can be provided as a delegate...
Much the same way Defaults work in the java.util.Properties object. Any call to ContextMap.get
would first consult itself.  If it finds a value, return it.  If it doesn't, then consult
the "child" map (if non-null), and return any value found.  I'd also have to wrap containsKey
and some other items.

I like this solution the most too.

The ContextMap class is something I submitted as a fix for
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IBATIS-671 - and it seems
reasonable to use it for this problem too.

My only reservation with the patches you've provided is that they
break the semantics of map (e.g. size() no longer returns a sensible
value, keySet() doesn't return all valid keys, ...).  However, since
these values aren't available to the OGNL interpreter (that's the
point of the ContextAccessor class), I don't see that being a problem.

As for which patch is better, I'm indifferent.

> 4) Provide some way to provide a Map decorator to DynamicContext... Or redefine the Context
with one that uses a CaseInsensitiveHashMap natively...

Not sure what this would entail.

Regards,
Martin