ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Martin Ellis <ellis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should I use Ibatis 2 or 3 for a new project?
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:05:35 GMT
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 4:45 PM, stefcl <stefatwork@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of course v3 is beta, documentation might not be perfectly up to date,
> there's no user javadoc (or I could not find one) but if we're close to a
> release (are we?) I would prefer to start working directly with the new
> Ibatis API to avoid migrating code later.

FWIW, I was in the same position as you a few months ago - green field
development; didn't want to develop against an API that would soon
become out-dated; wanted to be using a version that people would be
enthusiastic about supporting.

I chose to go with the alphas, and yes - there were a few bugs, but
patches for actual bugs were accepted promptly.  I haven't been
affected by any changes for a couple of beta iterations now (and I
have tests to verify), so things seem to be fairly stable.

Also, I found the iBATIS user guide is up-to-date.  I think found one
thing that appeared to be out-of-date, and it was marked as such (no
idea if it's fixed now).  For Javadoc, I just checked out the source,
and ran:
    mvn javadoc:javadoc
... and dumped a copy on our local web server.

> Do you think v3 is stable enough? Can we expect a RC or stable release soon
> (1-3 months)? Any advice?

Up to you.  If I were to do it again, I'd choose v3.

Martin