ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Jason King <jhk...@airmail.net>
Subject Re: IBATIS issue while using Oracle stored proc returning output cursor with null column
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 16:13:30 GMT
Sankar,
You might want to try select first_name firstname, last_name lastname ,
'' as designation from employee

In Oracle the empty string '' is also null.  My suspicion is the problem
here is the Oracle jdbc driver not knowing what the designation column's
datatype is, is setting up something bizarre to account for any
possibility, hence the memory consumption.  The empty string ('') while
null, should wind up getting typed as a varchar so that may alleviate
the problem.
If that doesn't work, I'd try joining employees to some other (small)
table and grabbing a column you know is null from that table.
For example.
create table party_ethics ( party_name, varchar2(10) ,
ethical_constraints varchar2(10));
insert into party_ethics values ('Democrat',NULL);
insert into party_ethics values ('Republican',NULL);
select first_name,
         last_name
         ethical_constraints as designation
from employees ,
        party_ethics
where party_name = 'Democrat'

That will get you a varchar2(10) column with a null value in it.