ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Zart Colwin <za...@wanadoo.fr>
Subject Re: iBATIS3 and SLF4J
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2009 13:30:37 GMT

> I'm not convinced that slf4j is any better than the more widely used
> commons-logging.
Market share or product market penetration often do not directly reflect
the quality of one product compared to another one. It merely reflect
the power of one supplier to impose its products over the other ones; It
is not unexpected to see commons-logging still having more market
penetration than SLF4J since commons-logging was there earlier and since
many ASF framework largely use it.

Taking your words literally, then no-one should bother to use iBatis
since the market ORM/persistance is largely dominated by Hibernate which
have a huge advance in market share over any other ORM/persistance
frameworks. The same goes true for things like Firefox against IE, Linux
against Window, even Windows7 against WindowsXP.

> If we want logging autonomy I'd rather go with what we did in the last
> version and simply implement an internal commons-logging-ish solution.
I'm completely shocked that you did this. What was so wrong with SLF4J
or commons-logging that you decided to hack your own logging abstraction
layer?   Standing by your own statement, how can you be convinced that
your hack is any better than the more widely used SLF4J or commons-logging?

ZC