ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Brandon Goodin <brandon.goo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBatis - MySQL pagination
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 16:52:34 GMT
Where are you seeing it perform a full table scan? select * does not
*necessarily* mean it will load all of your records into memory. Oracle for
example is smart about this and I would assume that most databases have
followed suit in this sense over the last few years. Most databases will
smartly use their indexes to determine what gets loaded and how much. It's
really the reason why you don't know how large your resultset is until it is
actually fully loaded. You'll be guaranteed a full table scan if you were to
sort on a column that is derived from a function call.

Another route on this may be to actually look at you indexing strategy.

Brandon