ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Ivan Bojer <Ivan.Bo...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Java reflection performance
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:46:16 GMT
I am really trying to understand performance issues. I agree with you that real-time apps will
suffer, but if I am writing a controller for a get plane I would not use any O/R mapping tool
obviously. You really want to run on bare metal there.

So, real-time app definition is quite fuzzy and I personally think that it is quite ambiguous
term. Back to my question, we are actually working on network policy appliance (think layer
7 packet switching). Can this qualify as  close to a real-time application. It depends if
you ask network guy or the application guy :)

I think that we are close enough to worry about performance and to be diligent to do anything
that can speed up any layer of application (short of going directly into assembly code :)
).

This is the reason why I asked the question. If someone can tell me that writing result maps
will give me 10%,20%,30% performance improvement that will tell me something. Beside all of
this I am really just curious from the geekness factor on why is there a difference.

Thank you for your answer.

From: Kengkaj Sathianpantarit <kengkaj.s@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 06:35:03 -0700
To: IBatis <user-java@ibatis.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Java reflection performance

By realtime applications, I just mean applications that the timing is really important.
>From your example, for retrieving an account balance, the system slowdown sometimes for
10 seconds is bad, but there is nobody dies or losses big benefit because of it.
But for jet fighters, it's a different story.

This is an off-topic, if you want discuss further, please discuss with me via e-mail.

Best Regards,
Kengkaj

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM, Chris O'Connell <oconnell@gorillachicago.com> wrote:
I'm curious what you mean by 'realtime application'.  Not trying to be confrontational, but
do you mean like the difference between writing controls for a jet fighter vs. retrieving
an account balance?  I've always thought they were both 'realtime'.  Just a difference in
semantics, I'm sure, but I am curious what you mean.

Thanks,
Chris

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Kengkaj Sathianpantarit <kengkaj.s@gmail.com> wrote:
It is "slower", because it has more things to do, but if you're not implementing realtime
application, this should not be an issue.

Kengkaj

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 11:47 AM, Ivan Bojer <Ivan.Bojer@citrix.com> wrote:
Ibatis documentation states that there is performance gain if one uses resultmaps instead
of letting Ibatis figure out class mapping on its own. I could not find any more info about
why is this a case!? Can anyone elaborate on this? Is this because reflection is slow in general?

Chris O'Connell
Application Developer
Gorilla
312.243.8777 x19