ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Mario Ds Briggs <mario.bri...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support SQLJ?
Date Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:22:33 GMT
We see it as 'iBATIS uses JDBC',  'iBATIS can also use SQLJ'

Mario

             Clinton Begin
             <clinton.begin@gm
             ail.com>                                                   To
                                       user-java@ibatis.apache.org
             27/01/2009 04:05                                           cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: [VOTE] Should iBATIS support
             user-java@ibatis.         SQLJ?
                apache.org

The only problem I have with this logic is that we could add a LOT to
iBATIS that wouldn't impact our users.  The question is not "can", the
question is "should".

SQLJ was one of the technologies that was available when I started
iBATIS, and it wasn't good enough. Since then iBATIS has earned
significantly more users and has achieved greater market penetration
than SQLJ.  It can be said that this success is directly related not
only to what iBATIS *is*, but also to what it is *not*.

I believe the only reason iBATIS has survived where other ORMs have
not (in the wake of Hibernate's dominance) is that it's different.
Different from ORM, different from JDBC, different from SQLJ....

iBATIS is unique.  To add something like SQLJ to iBATIS would take
away from what iBATIS is.

Therefore, I'll now cast my vote:

-5

Cheers,