ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Rick <ric...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: iBATIS DAO vs SqlMapClientDaoSupport
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:21:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Sundar Sankar <fatboysuns@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes. Our project did take configurable prop files. But it didnt do just
> that.  But looks like your need is to take a prop file and return an object
> after hitting the db the prop file points to. Spring wouldnt be neccessary
> if thats your used case.
>
> But I personally wouldnt wanna reinvent the wheel and waste time and money
> on writing code and more so on testing the same for something that is
> already available and well tested.

iBATIS gets the properties file for you. There is no "reinventing." :

<sqlMapConfig>
    <properties resource="database.properties"/>

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I am curious what you are truly
gaining using Spring. I'm not anti-spring but use it where it gives
you an advantage. What true advantage are you gaining using it? (I do
see some places where Spring really helps (hard-core test driven
development) but I'd be willing to bet 90% or more are using Spring
without TDD in mind and they would have saved time not even using
Spring in the first place.)