ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Rick <ric...@gmail.com>
Subject iBATIS DAO vs SqlMapClientDaoSupport
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 16:34:08 GMT
I'm curious about your thoughts on using the ibatis DAO over the
Spring stuff? I'm really only using Spring for being able to extend
SqlMapClientDaoSupport. I'm not doing anything super cool with
swapping out test dao's etc with a different implementation, so I'm
thinking using the preferred Spring approach could be overkill due to
what I want...

One of the concerns I have is I want others to be able to use my
persistence jar in other projects. I think forcing them to use Spring,
at least for look ups, could be a bad idea. For example say I have a
dao or service that I want to use from another jar... I want to be
able to do something like:

UserDAO.getInstance().getUser(id);

instead of relying on that dao being injected into the implementer's
code via spring. Having spring do the injection of the sqlMapClients
in my persistence jar though will I think require that getInstance
method will complicate things since I'll have to get access to
Spring's ApplicationContext and probably make some objects
AppliactionContextAware etc.

I don't mind giving up Spring in this case, but am I giving up a lot
not using the SpringDAO implementation? How do other's make their
persistence stuff reusable if they end up using Spring? - don't you
then up forcing the end user' to have to create a spring-context.xml
file? I'd like to avoid that.