ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Christopher.Mathru...@sybase.com
Subject Re: Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin
Date Mon, 08 Dec 2008 16:41:57 GMT
I'm not certain as to why it's not in the Maven repository. I can't really
comment as its outside of my realm. But I do know that the JConnect ships
with ASE. It also comes bundled with the Admin or Client set of tools. You
can find it usually located under

<Sybase Install>\<ASE-xxx>\jConnect-xxx

Like I said, I used JConnect first. I tried jTDS out of desperation once
when attempting to isolate an issue I was having. I found the jTDS driver
to be not as robust as the JConnect driver and jTDS does not provide true
XA capabilities to where as JConnect has all this functionality and it
works exceptionally well. In addition, JConnect is well documented so
usually you can find everything you need in the provided pdf Programmers
Reference guide. Also, make certain when using the JConnect driver that
you ensure that the SQL scripts are executed against the database that you
will be using. These scripts provide the functionality needed for the
JConnect driver. Sometimes these get overlooked and are required to have
everything function correctly. Each version of the JConnect driver comes
with a matching set of scripts that contain bug fixes, etc.. so they
should always be used so the SQL matches the driver.

Chris Mathrusse
christopher.mathrusse@sybase.com
Sybase, Inc
One Sybase Drive
Dublin, CA 94568
(925) 236-5553

Rick <rickcr@gmail.com>
12/05/2008 04:31 PM
Please respond to
user-java@ibatis.apache.org

user-java@ibatis.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Sybase sucks... I'm just sayin

Ha thanks:) I didn't even read you signature:) Sorry for the
unwarranted sybase sucks comment in the email subject.

I'm curious though, why don't you guys have the jconnect driver in a
maven repository? If it's around in one, I haven't found it.
(Interesting had JConnect been in a maven repo in the first place, I
probably wouldn't have used the jtds driver. I only found the jtds
drive when setting up a new maven project and was looking for the
sybase driver. (Our current systems all use the Jconnect driver. I'm
at Nielsen and everything is still all Sybase. We have both ASE and IQ
installs.)

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 6:52 PM,  <Christopher.Mathrusse@sybase.com> wrote:

> Seeing as I work at Sybase I don't think it would go over very well if I
> were to use the jTDS driver rather than our own JConnect. While I have
found
> a few issues with JConnect, they have been all relatively minor and are
> usually addressed rather quickly when we identify them, which only makes
the
> product that much better. Other than that, if ever you plan to use XA in
> your application, jTDS will not work for you. That's why I have always
used
> JConnect. The applications I am developing use XA frequently so JConnect
is
> really the only option for us. (Other than the fact that we work at
Sybase

--
Rick