ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Larry Meadors" <larry.mead...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ibatis & derby problem
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:12:47 GMT
This is not really an issue with ibatis, it's a SQLException thrown
back by the driver. We can't fix that, just like we can't fix it with
Oracle (which does the same thing).

This has always seemed like a totally retarded thing to me - I mean,
come on JDBC, it's NULL. It's not like I'm trying to stuff "fred" into
an integer field. NULL doesn't really have a type, so why is the
method signature like this:

void setNull(int parameterIndex, int sqlType); // this is from PreparedStatement

So, you'll have to pick one of these options:
1) use a different driver
2) look for a way to make derby allow that
3) patch ibatis to provide that (if it can)

Option #3 would make this less painful in *some* cases (only where you
are using beans and not maps) and you would have to make an attempt to
infer the SQL type based on the java type of the property being mapped
as reported by the bean.

To be honest, I have never looked into doing this because it seemed
like more work than adding :VARCHAR to the nullables in my apps. If
you want to try it, please do - and attach the changed files to a JIRA
issue. We'll see if we can get it into the next 2.x release, and also
3.x. :-D

Larry