ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From mule_user <s...@aol.com>
Subject Re: IBATIS 2.3.3, JDK 1.5 - Optimistic locking strategies
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 17:54:49 GMT

I am still looking for answers to my 5 questions.

Option1: Caching solution may not solve optimistic locking issue:
iBATIS cache model that can be used to cache LRU objects etc. But it still
does not solve the issue of optimistic locking. Consider a scenario like
below:
Mr. X and Mr. Y have a copy of Object1 that has timestamp Oct-8-2008-11:00
am. Mr X updates Object1 and timestamp becomes 11:05 am. The cache will be
replaced with the updated object, which has timestamp as 11:05 am. At that
time, Mr Y will get the updated copy of 11:05 AM by reference. Mr. Y will
loose the handle to the old object (11:00 am). Now, if Mr. Y wants to update
the object 1, it will successfully update the record. What we would have
liked instead is, Mr Y being able to hold 11:00 am object instance and
should get an exception, instead being able to successfully update.

Option 2: Query database before update:
This requires additional database hit. No need to keep old object in cache.
See the link below:
http://www.mail-archive.com/user-java@ibatis.apache.org/msg03559.html

Option 3: Hold 'OldObject" in scope
Keep a handle to "OldObject". Do not keep it in cache. "OldObject" could be
an attribute in "ObjectToUpdate", of be available in program scope.

Option 2 and 3 are not elegant.

That leaves me with the questions below:
1. Is Option 2 and 3 suitable?
2. Is there any other elegant option to achieve optimistic locking using
iBATIS?