ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Paul Sanders <tendan...@gmail.com>
Subject Dealing with large CLOBs and Oracle 10g
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 17:24:27 GMT

We recently upgraded our databases from 9i to 10g and now we are running into
a problem when fetching rows containing large CLOBs. Here's a snippet of our
resultMap:

 <resultMap class="Audit" id="fetch-audit-events-map">
       <result property="oldData" columnIndex="12" jdbcType="CLOB"/>
       <result property="newData" columnIndex="13" jdbcType="CLOB" />
</resultMap>

OLDDATA and NEWDATA are both defined as CLOB in the table.

Queries that used to work before now fail with an Oracle error:

org.springframework.jdbc.UncategorizedSQLException: SqlMapClient operation;
uncategorized SQLException for SQL []; SQL state [99999]; error code
[22835]; --- The error occurred in
com/sony/playstation/scert/mediuscentral/persistence/maps/AuditMap.xml. ---
The error occurred while applying a parameter map. --- Check the
search-audit-events. --- Check the output parameters (retrieval of output
parameters failed). --- Cause: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-22835: Buffer too
small for CLOB to CHAR or BLOB to RAW conversion (actual: 5548, maximum:
4000) ; nested exception is
com.ibatis.common.jdbc.exception.NestedSQLException: --- The error occurred
in com/sony/playstation/scert/mediuscentral/persistence/maps/AuditMap.xml.
--- The error occurred while applying a parameter map. --- Check the
search-audit-events. --- Check the output parameters (retrieval of output
parameters failed). --- Cause: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-22835: Buffer too
small for CLOB to CHAR or BLOB to RAW conversion (actual: 5548, maximum:
4000)

Some research reveals that in 9i a CLOB was truncated to 4000 chars when
converted to a string, but in 10g it now throws an Oracle exception. Since
it is iBatis that is doing the conversion I don't know how to start going
about fixing this - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Paul