ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GroupBy issues (multiple child lists, Postgres limit/offset)
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 14:47:15 GMT
But Kai, using that approach, you will get an inconsistent view of the
records.  Some child records will be missing.

the way that ORMs do this is with two queries...

select distinct P.ID from PERSON P, DEPARTMENT D .... LIMIT 100

select * from PERSON P, DEPARTMENT D .....  and P.ID in (23, 45, 63, .... 104)

iBATIS cannot do that automatically.  It's a limitation of not
generating the SQL.  You can achieve the same thing by writing both
queries yourself though.

Clinton

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Kai Grabfelder <nospam@kinokai.de> wrote:
> Hi Reuben,
>
> regarding your first problem: Have you tried to give a comma separated list
> for the groupBy criteria? Just an idea, until now I was only grouping for
> one element not multiple ones as it can get quite expensive to do n+1 joins
> on several tables on the database level.
>
> regarding your second problem: I've used subselects in such cases that limit
> the number record returned. This may be not the fastest solution for all
> usescases but it works. In your case it could look like this:
>
> select * from book_table, other_join_tables where book_table.id =
> other_join_tables.book_id and
> book_table.id in (select id from book_table order by sort_crit desc limit
> 100 offset 10)
>
> Regards
>
> Kai

>>> for one of the child lists, and selects in the resultMap for the other
>>> children (doesn't completely solve N+1 problem, just reduces it), or (b)
>>> using a cross-product join of all tables and a custom RowHandler to
>>> manage
>>> it all with one query.
>>>
>>> 2. We are using Postgresql, and taking advantage of the "limit" and
>>> "offset"
>>> keywords to help implement paging of the results we display - the "limit"
>>> and "offset" values correspond to the "Results (offset) - (offset +
>>> limit)
>>> of (n)" message we can display to users. It seems that these aren't going