ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Ian Zabel <...@ezabel.com>
Subject Re: inline map format: empty String in nullValue
Date Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:53:05 GMT
Ondra,

I agree. We are making use of this feature quite a bit in our legacy
system (old objects, old DB) in which we are currently switching to
use iBATIS. We are striving to maintain high compatibility by making
few changes to the code, sql, and schema. nullValue comes in handy a
LOT.

It seems that iBATIS 3 is moving away from the idea of a true Data
Mapper, and adopting a more ORM slant. I've seen it mentioned a few
times that the developers prefer using objects over primitives. This
seems to be a personal preference, as far as I can tell. I think
personal preference is usually a good thing when it comes to code.
Trying to be a jack-of-all trades can really dilute best practices.

However, to many people, I believe iBATIS represents a low(er) level
tool (than Hibernate, JPA, etc) that allows them to really get their
SQL mapped up to their objects without having to worry about best
practices. Sometimes, this is the best solution; especially when it
comes to legacy applications.

Developers will simply have to make a choice. Either stick with iBATIS
2, retrofit a lot of code to match the new ideals of iBATIS 3, or use
iBATIS 3 in a non-standard, arguably hacky way.

I wish we didn't have to make this choice, but sometimes that's the
price of progress. :)

Ian.