ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From John Clash <spam.tr...@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: inline map format: empty String in nullValue
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:26:48 GMT

Hi Ian,

Ian Zabel-3 wrote:

> However, to many people, I believe iBATIS represents a low(er) level
> tool (than Hibernate, JPA, etc) that allows them to really get their
> SQL mapped up to their objects without having to worry about best
> practices.

True. Personally I use iBatis together with Hibernate:

Hibernate, when I need to get an entity(ies) with all their related entities
loaded.

iBatis for batch or non-standard operations like multi-table updates,
special imports, and SELECTs that return custom columns that do not belong
to any existing entity, like aggregated statistics etc. Basically, I could
say I use iBatis every time when maping the result with Hibernate would be a
pain and I would use Hibernate's em.createNativeQuery().

>From that point of view, I like iBatis' usage where it got with version 2.x.
Any movement towards ORM will IMHO lead to a destiny of PHP:

C-worshipers annoyed by backward incompatibilities, OOP programmers annoyed
by "wannabe OOP" and serious ideological "incompatibilities" against
technologies that aimed to be true OOP from the beginning.

To be honest, I don't know where iBatis developement aims now (I will find
and read it soon, I promise), but I hope it will not leave the role of very
convenient, intuitive and easy-to-use layer over JDBC.

Sorry for a little OT.
Ondra