ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From John Clash <spam.tr...@seznam.cz>
Subject Re: inline map format: empty String in nullValue
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:00:44 GMT

Clinton Begin wrote:

> You can also make your own type handlers for string and integer that
> always yield some default value instead of null.

Just to clear things out:

1) I use nullValue in INSERT to convert empty String to NULL, what performs
faster and keeps better semantics.

2) nullValue is going to be completely removed, or just deprecated, or
switched off by default, or something? Just to know whether to count on it
with it at all. I vote for just deprecating - if possible.

3) "own type handlers" is exactly what I would rather avoid - anything "own"
means additional code for common task that I will definitely screw :-)  So,
if nullValue is going to be removed, could especially the **empty String
cases** (INSERT: "" to NULL, SELECT: NULL to "") be handled somehow by
iBatis itself? Anyhow, just please don't let everyone write "yet another own
empty String type handler"...

Thanks, Ondra