ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thread starvation - pool / Throttle issue?
Date Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:15:43 GMT
Ah, if you're using Spring, then yes, it will take care of resource
allocation.  But your statement was: "but my understanding is that the DBCP
connection pool handles all that for me (?)", which is not the case.

Clinton

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Brian Parkinson <parki@avaning.com> wrote:

> HI Clinton:
>
> Have upgraded, and am refactoring some of my iBATIS code. You write:
>
> "Pools handle closing connections, but you still have to call .close (or
some higher level delegating method) to return the connection to the pool.
The rules are always the same... if you open it / start it / retrieve it,
then you must close it / stop it / return it... "

> Below is an example Dao method implementation - my understanding (wrong,
it would appear) is that the SqlMapClientDaoSupport takes care of
ope/start/retrieve and close/stop/return.

> Do I need to enclose my call to getSqlMapClientTemplate().update(...) in a
try/catch with open/close?

> Thanks again - looks like homing in on the issue.
> Cheers,
>
> parki...
>
> --- x8 snip
>
> public class AlertDao extends SqlMapClientDaoSupport implements IAlertDao
> {
>  public Acknowledgement acknowledgeAlert(String thermostatIdentifier,
String acknowledgeRef,
>   boolean remindMeLater) throws Exception
>  {
>   AlertEntry alertEntry = new AlertEntry(thermostatIdentifier,
acknowledgeRef);

>   getSqlMapClientTemplate().update("AlertMessage.updateByAlertEntry",
alertEntry);

>   Acknowledgement acknowledgedSet = new Acknowledgement();
>   acknowledgedSet.setThermostatIdentifier(thermostatIdentifier);
>   acknowledgedSet.setAcknowledgeRef(acknowledgeRef);
>   acknowledgedSet.setRemindMeLater(remindMeLater);
>
>   return acknowledgedSet;
>  }
>
> ________________________________

cause of your issue, as all of the Throttles have been removed for this very
reason.  You'll likely get a complaint about no more connections, or a DB
deadlock.

> Clinton
>
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Brian Parkinson <parki@avaning.com> wrote:
>>
>> HI Nicholoz  - looked at that thread - thx.
>>
>> A key issue seems to be not closing connections, but my understanding is
that the DBCP connection pool handles all that for me (?).

>> The Dao implementation is pretty simple - I'm not explicitly declaring
transations, since using Spring transaction stuff and so each Dao method
looks like below.

>> Should I be explicitly handling transations stuff, and placing everything
inside try/catch/finally blocks? My understaniding was that the Spring
SqlMapClientDaoSupport did that for me.
>> public class AlertDao extends SqlMapClientDaoSupport implements IAlertDao
>> {
>>  public Acknowledgement acknowledgeAlert(String thermostatIdentifier,
String acknowledgeRef,
>>   boolean remindMeLater) throws Exception
>>  {
>>   AlertEntry alertEntry = new AlertEntry(thermostatIdentifier,
acknowledgeRef);

>>   getSqlMapClientTemplate().update("AlertMessage.updateByAlertEntry",
alertEntry);

>>   Acknowledgement acknowledgedSet = new Acknowledgement();
>>   acknowledgedSet.setThermostatIdentifier(thermostatIdentifier);
>>   acknowledgedSet.setAcknowledgeRef(acknowledgeRef);
>>   acknowledgedSet.setRemindMeLater(remindMeLater);
>>
>>   return acknowledgedSet;
>>  }
>> ... ETC ...
>> }
>> The Spring declaration:
>>
>>  <bean id="txManager"
class="org.springframework.jdbc.datasource.DataSourceTransactionManager">
>>   <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource"/>
>>  </bean>
>>
>>  <tx:advice id="txAdvice" transaction-manager="txManager">
>>   <tx:attributes>
>>    <tx:method name="get*" read-only="true" />
>>    <tx:method name="*" />
>>   </tx:attributes>
>>  </tx:advice>
>>
>>  <aop:config>
>>   <aop:pointcut id="daoServiceOperation" expression="execution(*
com.ecobee.foundation.dao.ibatis.*.*(..))" />