ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject [ANNOUNCE] iBATIS 2.3.3 ... Beta is the new Production
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:44:52 GMT
Practically moments after promoting iBATIS 2.3.2 to GA, a number of nasty
bugs were discovered, particularly with the Spring integration. We
refactored a lot of "internal" (i.e. non-client) code in these latest
versions, and so as an end-user, you really need to test the Betas. So from
now on, we're going to wait until we get enough confirmation from actual
production implementations (either through test suites or staging
environments) that things are working well. I'm thinking at least 20

In the long run we'll identify dedicated testers who are willing to update
to the latest beta and run a comprehensive application test suite against
it.

This is necessary to preserve the importance of flagging a release as
"General Availability" (Apache's way of saying "Production Ready-ish").

BETA INSTRUCTIONS:

    * From now on, when you see a Beta release like this one, get it!
    * Plug it into your app.
    * Run your unit test suite.
    * Put it on your staging environment.
    * If all looks good, roll it out to production (yes, the Beta).
        > If your application is doing any less than absolutely mission
critical, deploy the Beta.
        > Note:  We don't change the release files when promoting to GA. So
when it's out of beta, you just keep using the same software.
    * After a week or so, reply to this [ANNOUNCE] marked thread with a +1,
showing your confidence in the framework.   Include brief details of your
stack (app server, Spring, JDK version, web framework, etc.)

When we receive 20 replies (a guess at a start), we'll put the vote to the
committers to promote the release to GA.

I'd like to consider making "Beta Tester" a formal role on our project.  I'm
not sure of the details yet, but you can start by testing this Beta in your
environment and responding to this thread with results as above.

Cheers
Clinton