ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Anton Rothenbacher <tc...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2008 21:12:47 GMT

Actually, this is the solution we have ultimately implemented. I think I am getting the picture,
that our best hope is to avoid stale connections in the first place. I was hoping to be pro-active
on the client side, testing idle connections, recycling them if they are deemed bad (for whatever
reason, closed connections because of firewall or otherwise) to achieve a high level of certainty
that connections in the pool are indeed good all the while having a view into the activity
of the reaper thread thru logging.
Thanks to all who replied to the thread.
> Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 07:59:18 -0700> From: D.Alexander@lse.ac.uk> To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org>
Subject: RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?> > > > > Anton Rothenbacher
wrote:> > > > We have a firewall between the db and webserver which is closing
inactive> > connections when the app sits idle for a period of time. After the idle>
> period, the first person who attempts to logon to the website experiences> > a
15 minute lag while it waits for the connection pool to deem the> > connection it selected
out of the pool bad, recycle it and start using the> > fresh connection. We are open
to using any connection pool mechanism with> > ibatis that has an option to test idle
pooled connections and recycle them> > if they are deemed bad on a configurable basis.
> > > In his excellent book "Release It! - Design and Deploy Production-Ready>
Software", Michael T Nygard describes a problem scenario pretty much like> that. Rather
than testing idle pooled connections, the solution was to> enable an Oracle feature called
"dead connction detection". This would> feature had the Oracle server "ping" the (application
server) client at> regular intervals. As this ensured regular traffic through the firewall
for> the connection it ensured the firewall didn't drop it.> > Hope that helps.>
D.> -- > View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/C3P0-configuration-example-for-iBatis-anyone--tp17550979p17603358.html>
Sent from the iBATIS - User - Java mailing list archive at Nabble.com.>
Make every e-mail and IM count. Join the i’m Initiative from Microsoft.