ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Anton Rothenbacher <tc...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?
Date Fri, 30 May 2008 11:50:44 GMT

Hi Clinton, sorry I didn't mean to offend you, it may well be by design but it definitely
is an issue in our situation. We have a firewall between the db and webserver which is closing
inactive connections when the app sits idle for a period of time. After the idle period, the
first person who attempts to logon to the website experiences a 15 minute lag while it waits
for the connection pool to deem the connection it selected out of the pool bad, recycle it
and start using the fresh connection. We are open to using any connection pool mechanism with
ibatis that has an option to test idle pooled connections and recycle them if they are deemed
bad on a configurable basis. See below for a log snippit, notice the timestamp delay between
when it started testing the connection and when it finally failed.

2008-05-24 21:12:55,720 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Checked out connection
15102369 from pool.2008-05-24 21:12:55,720 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource]
Testing connection 15102369 ...2008-05-24 21:28:21,364 WARN  [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource]
Execution of ping query 'select 1 from DUAL' failed: Io exception: Connection timed out2008-05-24
21:28:21,365 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Connection 15102369 is BAD: Io
exception: Connection timed out2008-05-24 21:28:21,365 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource]
A bad connection (15102369) was returned from the pool, getting another connection.2008-05-24
21:28:21,440 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Created connection 135206972008-05-24
21:28:21,460 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Testing connection 13520697 ...2008-05-24
21:28:21,463 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Connection 13520697 is GOOD!2008-05-24
21:28:21,463 DEBUG [com.ibatis.common.jdbc.SimpleDataSource] Returned connection 13520697
to pool.

I am certainly open to trying oracle.jdbc.pool.OracleConnectionPoolDataSource - any suggestions
for a datasource that has a feature to test idle connections on a configurable basis and recycle
them (hopefully before a user notices a problem) would be great. We only saw SimpleDataSource
and DBCP as options in the ibatis documentation so that is what we have tried so far (well
we did try C3P0 without success and that is the reason for the post - hopefully to find someone
who has actually successfully implemented c3p0 or some other datasource that allows idle connection
testing/eviction). Richard, would you have an example SqlMapConfig.xml using this datasource
type?
Thanks again.

Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:12:22 -0600From: clinton.begin@gmail.comTo: user-java@ibatis.apache.orgSubject:
Re: C3P0 configuration example for iBatis anyone?>> SimpleDatasource exhibits an issue
with pool.pingquery taking roughly 15min before a bad connection is deemed bad and removed
from the pool, there seems to be no reaper or evictor thread to test idle connections on a
regular basis as opposed to testing at checkout time. <<This is not an issue, it is
by design.  SimpleDataSource is a synchronous connection pool.  It does not spawn threads
for eviction or any other reason.  Why do you care when the connection is removed from the
pool?  Clinton