ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Darren Davison <dar...@davisononline.org>
Subject Re: Grails anybody?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:34:44 GMT
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 08:46:55AM -0700, tomasz brymora wrote:
> Is anyone using iBatis with Grails?

I'm not, but I do use both grails and iBATIS a lot on different
projects.

There should be no reason not to.  Since pre-1.0 of grails, they removed
the tight coupling to hibernate and you can now simply take hibernate
out of the equation for any grails project by removing the hibernate
plugin.

Unfortunately I can't speak intelligently about how you plugin another
persistence mechanism since I've never tried it.  Suggest you ask on the
grails mailing list, which is high volume but pretty responsive too.

I think your post does raise an interesting point about grails though
(to wander slightly, but not entirely OT).  I can't help thinking the
dev team has missed a bit of a trick here.  Grails is a superb
framework, but surely it's sweet spot has got to be providing web
front-ends, with all the great plugins and ajaxy stuff it makes so easy,
but against legacy middle- and/or back-end tiers that already exist or
will be written in Java.  I know they'll tell me you *can* do this, but
IMHO they should push it harder - seems a more likely path to the
enterprise than pushing the full-stack green-field capabilities of the
framework.

Just my $0.02

--
Darren Davison