ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Clinton Begin" <clinton.be...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grails anybody?
Date Tue, 01 Apr 2008 17:24:36 GMT
I'm going to be totally honest....

If Java was Groovy, I never would have written iBATIS.  The database
APIs (especially the integration with GString -- despite a few
limitations) is the smartest thing I've ever seen in database API
design.  Not only is it better than JDBC, it's better than Ruby's
database APIs (not saying much). That combined with Groovy's support
for multiline strings make it about 75% capable of doing what iBATIS
does anyway.  iBATIS was really a framework originally designed to
solve only two problems:

* JDBC API verbosity
* SQL looks like crap embedded in Java code (due to the lack of
multiline strings and a decent string library)

Groovy solves both of those quite well (perhaps iBATIS still has an
edge). Later on we added...

* Improved patterns for transaction management
* A few bells and whilstles like caching, lazy loading, join mapping, etc...

So that said, I suppose iBATIS could offer improvements in the area of
transactions and the bells and whistles.

But where would you see most of the value of a gBATIS (or whatever
we'd call it)?  :-)

Cheers,
Clinton