ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Alistair Young" <alistair.j.yo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Transaction Performance Issue
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 11:03:35 GMT
On 09/04/2008, Vannel <vadriewyn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>  I have a performance issue i'm not sure how to solve effectively. Here's my
>  situation..
>  I'm trying to run INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements and using their return
>  values as confirmation that the statement has been duly completed by my db
>  (Oracle).
>
>  ---
>
>  e.g.
>  <update ...>UPDATE table1 SET field = #value# WHERE idfield =
>  #idvalue#</update>
>
>  int confirmation = update(...)
>  //upon getting confirmation, send out an alert to the user
>  if (confirmation > 0) {...send out alert...}
>
>  ---
>
>  the problem lies here. if the user (for example) refreshes his UI
>  immediately after sending the UPDATE, a small fraction of the time, the
>  change will not be reflected yet. unfortunately, my program requires me to
>  have 100% assurance that the user will be able to notice the change.
>
>  does anyone have any suggestions? i suspect it might be an issue with how
>  Oracle handles SQL since i am able to get a positive return from it. could
>  it be an issue with how iBATIS works?
>
> --

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "sending out an alert" - but
maybe you could get around your problem by setting the text to be
displayed to "CONFIRMATION PENDING" or somesuch before the update is
executed, so that if the user refreshes his UI (a browser, I'm
guessing) before you're ready, at least they will get some indication
that what they can see isn't the whole story.  Unless you've got some
server-push capabilities, I guess there's always a risk that a page
will be rerendered before you're ready.

I doubt it's an iBATIS issue.  Sounds more like "annoying users doing
things in the wrong order to me" :).

Alistair.