ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From Chris McMahon <cochran...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: iBATIS and Batch
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 02:10:14 GMT
This article:

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/jdbc/spec2/jdbc2.1.frame6.html

suggests that you can pass heterogeneous SQL statements to the database using the JDBC batch
functionality.  However, it was less clear that you could do this with PreparedStatements.

Does iBATIS always use PreparedStatements even if there are no arguments to pass in?  In the
examples you gave below, you didn't use arguments in your SQL statements.

From: clinton.begin@gmail.com
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: RE: iBATIS and Batch
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:31:28 -0700

>> So
you group things together by table?

iBATIS doesn’t know what a table is.  It groups them by (Prepared)
SQL Statement.

>> Does
the JDBC driver not let you batch update across tables without changing the
order?

The batching features of JDBC are at the statement level.  We
maintain the order of the statements, but otherwise it’s exactly how the JDBC
documentation describes – which is quite vague and more up to the JDBC driver
than anything.

I believe it’s as efficient as it can be, without losing the
order of the statements.

Clinton