ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From nch <underscore_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: select * causing " OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 18:24:36 GMT

So-lu-tion.
But, yeah, WOW!!

Clinton, you've been really helpful.
Lots of thanks to you and all people in this mailing list.

----- Original Message ----
From: Clinton Begin <clinton.begin@gmail.com>
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:45:28 PM
Subject: Re: select * causing " OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

SOLUTION?

A quick Google search yielded this thread from the MySQL boards which
details the exact problem your having.

http://lists.mysql.com/java/9137

It's actually quite silly and definitely a MySQL driver issue.  I
imagine that Hibernate's MySQL dialect configuration is aware of this
problem, which is why it works.  Recall what I said earlier regarding
the fact that the driver throws the exception from the
PreparedStatement.execute() method... thus it's not even getting to
the point of returning a result set.  This is why:

// MySQL Driver code....
protected boolean createStreamingResultSet() {
   return ((this.resultSetType == java.sql.ResultSet.TYPE_FORWARD_ONLY)
   && (this.resultSetConcurrency ==  java.sql.ResultSet.CONCUR_READ_ONLY)
   && (this.fetchSize ==  Integer.MIN_VALUE)); // NOTICE THIS.... WTF!?
}

Turns out that for some reason the MySQL driver will always load all
of the results in advance unless the fetchSize is set to
Integer.MIN_VALUE.... wow.

Try setting fetchSize="-2147483648"

Silly, but wow...

Clinton

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 9:13 AM, nch <underscore_dot@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Clinton, answering to your last mail:
> - I tried MySQL driver versions 5.0.5 and 5.0.8 (the one I'm currently using) with MySQL
5.0.45 (Debian). Tried also on Windows with the same drivers, but can not remember the MySQL
version.
> - Bellow are, I think I don't miss any, the different relevant configurations (some through
Spring):

> - jdbc.properties: Database connection config
>
> jdbc.driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
> jdbc.url=jdbc:mysql://localhost/wikipedia_articles?createDatabaseIfNotExist=true&amp;useUnicode=true&amp;characterEncoding=utf-8
> jdbc.username=x
> jdbc.password=y
>

> - sql-map-config.xml: iBatis config file
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE sqlMapConfig PUBLIC "-//ibatis.apache.org//DTD SQL Map Config 2.0//EN"
>     "http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/sql-map-config-2.dtd">
>
> <sqlMapConfig>
>     <settings enhancementEnabled="true" maxTransactions="20" maxRequests="32" maxSessions="10"/>
>
>     <sqlMap resource="sqlmaps/TestingPojoSQL.xml"/>
>
> </sqlMapConfig>
>

> - TestingPojoSQL.xml: The operations needed for indexing:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE sqlMap PUBLIC "-//iBATIS.com//DTD SQL Map 2.0//EN" "http://ibatis.apache.org/dtd/sql-map-2.dtd">
>
> <sqlMap namespace="TestingPojoSQL">
>     <typeAlias alias="article" type="org.myorg.model.TestingPojo"/>
>
>     <resultMap id="articleResult" class="article">
>         <result property="id" column="id"/>
>         <result property="contents" column="contents"/>
>     </resultMap>
>
>     <select id="getAllTestingPojos" resultMap="articleResult" fetchSize="100" resultSetType="FORWARD_ONLY">
>     <![CDATA[
>         select * from articles
>     ]]>
>     </select>
>
> </sqlMap>
>

> - applicationContext-resources.xml: Here a DBCP data source is defined (I tried also
C3P0. Made no difference):

> [...]
>             <value>classpath:/sql-map-config.xml</value>
>         </property>
>         <property name="dataSource" ref="dataSource"/>
>     </bean>
> </beans>
>

> - In applicationContext-service.xml: This is where I tell Spring to instanciate an iBatis
based GPS device.

> <bean id="compass" class="org.compass.spring.LocalCompassBean">
>     <property name="classMappings">
>         <list>
>             <value>org.myorg.TestingPojo</value>
>         </list>
>     </property>
>     <property name="compassSettings">
>         <props>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.connection">file://compass</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.transaction.factory">org.compass.spring.transaction.SpringSyncT
ransactionFactory</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.analyzer.default.type">snowball</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.analyzer.default.name">English</prop>
>             <!-- Mainly default values -->
>             <prop key="compass.engine.ramBufferSize">16</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.maxBufferedDocs">10</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.maxBufferedDeletedTerms">-1</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.mergeFactor">10</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.maxFieldLength">10000</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.cacheIntervalInvalidation">5000</prop>
>             <prop key="compass.engine.indexManagerScheduleInterval">60</prop>
>         </props>
>     </property>
>     <property name="transactionManager" ref="transactionManager" />
> </bean>
>
> <bean id="iBatisGpsDevice" class="org.compass.gps.device.ibatis.SqlMapClientGpsDevice">
>     <property name="name" value="iBatisDevice" />
>     <property name="sqlMapClient" ref="sqlMapClient" />
>     <property name="selectStatementsIds">
>         <list>
>             <value>getAllTestingPojos</value>
>         </list>
>     </property>
>     <property name="pageSize" value="50" />
> </bean>
>
> <bean id="compassGps" class="org.compass.gps.impl.SingleCompassGps" init-method="start"
destroy-method="stop">
>     <property name="compass">
>         <ref bean="compass" />
>     </property>
>     <property name="gpsDevices">
>         <list>
>             <bean class="org.compass.spring.device.SpringSyncTransactionGpsDeviceWrapper">
>                 <property name="gpsDevice" ref="iBatisGpsDevice" />
>             </bean>
>         </list>
>     </property>
> </bean>
>

> Regarding your previous mail:
> - I emptied the handleRow method and ran the test - same result. The exception occurs
before handleRow is invoked.
> - I'm not configuring any caches. Is there a default one? Should I config one?
> - Setting fetchSize, different resultSetTypes, use of <select> or <statement>
elements didn't make any differences.
> - Additionally, I tried truncating the contents of each Wikipedia article to 500 characters,
and I was able to index all the 650000 rows, so the number of records being selected is not
the only factor here (I just wanted to make sure).
> - I can imagine others (including you) have successfully made it with large amounts of
data (I'm new to iBatis and Compass/Lucene) so I'm sure there's a solution.

> Lots of thanks.

 iBATIS never has a chance to even see the ResultSet, let alone get to the RowHandler. So
swapping out the GpsDevice here won't make any difference at all. This is odd behavior for
a JDBC driver and tells me that something is very wrong with the configuration.

> Which version of the JDBC driver are you using?  What are the rest of the iBATIS convfiguration
details?

> Clinton
>

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Clinton Begin <clinton.begin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the summary.  A few things:
> >
> > * PaginatedList was definitely the wrong solution for that, so I'm glad it's gone.
> >
> > * A RowHandler is possibly the right solution, but will only store as many records
in memory as you tell it to.  iBATIS does not just arbitrarily keep records around.  Quite
the opposite actually.  Unless you keep a reference or configure a cache, iBATIS will not
keep the object around at all.

> > Looking at your implementation, there are a couple of things going on...
> >
> > session.create(o);
> > if(currentItem== pageSize){
> >   if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
> >     log.debug("Indexing page number ["+ pageCount++ + "]");
> >   }
> > session.evictAll();
> >
> > Things to Try:
> >
> > 1)  These lines of code must be treated as guilty until proven innocent (especially
the logging).  The easiest way to do that is to delete them.  Create an empty handler/GpsDevice
and run the test to see what happens.

> > 2) Look at the iBATIS configuration files.  Is a cache configured for this query?
 What kind of cache?

> > 3) You could try multiple queries of fixed sizes with queryForList(String,Object,int
offset,int limit) ... but I can't see how that would be better than a RowHandler.

> > 4) Next, just in case the driver's default fetch size is ridiculously high (or unlimited),
try setting <select ... fetchSize="100"/>.  You could also try a scrollable SesultSet
with <statement ... resultSetType /> of  SCROLL_INSENSITIVE or SCROLL_SENSITIVE.

> > Finally, please know that I've used iBATIS to load tens of millions of rows for
ETL and even analysis (NetFlix Prize) and was able to do so with a RowHandler or even simply
multiple calls to queryForList(String,Object,int offset,int limit).  I don't recall having
to even think about the configuration, although I did manage to optimize it to achieve a read/insert
performance of 15,000 records per second between two databases (on a single machine too).

> > I'm sure there's something about the configuration here that is causing the problem,
and it can be solved.

> > I hope one of these helps.
> >
> > Clinton
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 1:53 PM, nch <underscore_dot@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi, there. :-)
> > >
> > > The thing is, I'm testing a search engine called Compass. One of the tests
consists of indexing a Wikipedia dump. In this case only the text of the articles, so I downloaded
it and imported it into a MySQL database (about 650000 records - 1.5GB).

> > > You can configure Compass to access a database and index it's contents by configuring
what they call a GPS Device. You can do that through an ORM such as iBatis, Hibernate or JPA.

> > > Compass provides an implementation of such a GPS Device called SqlMapClientGpsDevice
which uses iBatis queryForPaginatedList to get the results of a query and, so, index them.
The query is just a "select * from articles_table".

> > > So I wired everything up and ran several tests with different amounts of data
to be indexed and JVM stack space sizes. The result was an "OutOfMemoryError: java heap space"
error message whenever the size of the selected rows was bigger than the amount of available
heap space (I can not index the 650000 records having 1GB of stack).

> > > After doing some profiling I concluded iBatis was loading the whole amount
of results into memory. So I decided to try Hibernate, which worked just fine.

> > > Finally I found queryForPaginatedList was deprecated and that I should use
queryWithRowHandler instead, so I made my own implementation of the SqlMapClientGpsDevice
based on queryWithRowHandler and tested it, but I had the same result (I profiled the application
stack usage and I could see a line growing steadily and finally crash against the stack ceiling
while performing the select statement).

> > > Shay Banon, Compass project leader, is planning to patch SqlMapClientGpsDevice
by replacing queryForPaginatedList with queryWithRowHandler, but I'm doubtful it's gonna work.

> > > Finally you can, of course, devide the select stament into several selects
(and it works) but, in my opinion, that shouldn't be necessary.
> > > You can read more on http://forum.compass-project.org/thread.jspa?threadID=215278
> > >
> > > Thanks!

but could someone summarize the problem and progress to date?  I may be able to shed some
light on what is happening.

> > > Clinton

by Hibernate, so I don't think this is being caused by the MySQL driver.

and it seems to work fine, but I see a possible issue with this, you can not remove any of
the records you've already read during the whole process. This might not be an option.

Write your own

Carlos.

can be

Compass API