ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From nch <underscore_...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: select * causing " OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 15:04:29 GMT

Hi!

I'm doing tests both under tomcat and jetty. I set 1024MB of heap space in both cases. I am
using a profiler to look into what's happening during execution of the indexing process and
I can tell that's the exact amount it displays for the VM.

As I describe in the Compass user forum (see link bellow), I'm indexing a Wikipedia dump of
about 650000-675000 records. That's sort of 1-1.5GB of data.

Hibernate can handle all that data, I guess it's using some sort of pagination. iBatis seems
to divide the select statement into several select statements, but it also seems each of such
statements surpasses the limit of 1024MB when trying to index only 300000 of the database
records.

Thank you

Chris Lamey <clamey@localmatters.com> wrote: What is you JVM heap size set to and how
much data is returned by select * from table?

If you're trying to pull back 1G worth of data into a JVM with a heap size set to 64M, you
will hit the heap limit pretty quick.

-----Original Message-----
From: nch [mailto:underscore_dot@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thu 3/13/2008 8:03 AM
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: select * causing " OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"

Hi, everybody.
I'm testing the Compass search engine and, in particular, how to index a big set of documents
from a table in a MySQL database. In order to do this I issue a "select * from table_name"
using iBatis, but this seems to be causing the application to use all heap space available.
I added a new entry into Compass user forum with details:
http://forum.compass-project.org/thread.jspa?threadID=215278

Can you figure out why is this happening?

Many thanks