ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Jeff Butler" <jeffgbut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Abator - change to allow it to produce stored procedures instead of SQL?
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:53:27 GMT
I did a pretty serious investigation into this a few months ago.  The bottom
line is that it is not really feasible to do code generation for stored
procedures.  The main issues are these:

1. The database metadata does not have enough information to fully
understand what will be required for input and what the expected outputs
will be for stored procedures.  In addition, since stored procedures are
programs the outputs may differ with different inputs (i.e. sometimes no
result set, sometimes 1 or more result sets).  Finally, the metadata methods
for stored procedures are all optional - so some drivers don't implement
them at all.

2. Because of #1, it would be necessary to execute the SP with a variety of
inputs to understand the outputs.  The XML configuration for describing the
different input scenarios would be onerous.  And even worse - executing the
SP solely for code generation purposes would likely have unintended side
effects in the database.

With that in mind my opinion is that stored procedures, in general, are not
an area that would not significantly benefit from code generation.

If your particular situation is that you are using SP's to simply wrap
existing SQL, then I think an XSLT could be a good way to go - either that
or create a custom implementation of the SqlMapGenerator interface to meet
your particular needs.

Jeff Butler