ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From <robert.kasani...@accenture.com>
Subject how to map huge resultsets?
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 20:37:23 GMT
Hello,

I am wondering whether it possible to implement the following scenario with iBATIS:

   1. run an iBATIS-managed select
   2. get a scrollable result set instead of a list of mapped objects
   3. manually scroll the result set and ask iBATIS for object corresponding to current row

Hibernate provides this possibility (http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/batch.html)
so I thought it would be feasible with iBATIS too, but I couldn't figure out a way. The motivation
is a batch scenario where the select returns a huge number of rows so all mapped objects can't
be loaded into memory at once.

The iBATIS way I am aware of is to use queryForList(String statementName, int skipResults,
int maxResults), but this means querying the database (TOTAL_NUMBER_OF_ROWS / maxResults)
times.

Can somebody give advice about pros & cons of the two approaches?

Thanks
Robert